Purdue is not in a good way right now. It took all 60 minute for them to be secure in beating Indiana State last week. Prior to that they got trounced by Cincinnati. A team that got soundly beating 45-17 by Illinois the very next week. Notre Dame meanwhile has defeated Temple, 28-6, and lost to Michigan 41-30.
Which team has the more impressive resume at this point? That would obviously be Notre Dame. Tomorrow is a whole new ballgame though. I’d love to tell you I’m optimistic about the game but that would be an absolute lie. As T-Mill likes to say over at Hammer and Rails this is almost one of those games you can put in Sharpie. Were it not for a blatantly missed delay of game last year in South Bend it’s entirely possible that Purdue walks out of Notre Dame Stadium with a win. As it stands though Purdue walked out with a heartbreaking loss but one that left us fans optimistic for what might be for that season. Unfortunately it didn’t work out that way at the end of the year. So if Purdue was so close last year to winning AT Notre Dame why am I so pessimistic about tomorrow’s game? There’s quite a few reasons.
- Purdue’s scored just two offensive touchdowns in two games. Purdue has scored a total of 27 points in two games regardless of how they were scored. That doesn’t bode well considering Purdue is facing a team with a pulse on defense.
- Purdue lost quite a bit from last year’s team including their best defensive lineman, top 2 QBs, top running back, some prominent wide receivers and their best offensive linemen. You notice all those holes each time that Purdue steps on the field.
- For whatever reason Dolapo McCarthy and Brandon Cottom are not able to see the field on offense. I still have no idea but I promise you I am going to post about this each game until we find out what the hell is happening. McCarthy is a sure handed tall and strong wide receiver while Cottom is a wrecking ball in short yardage situations. Without these two Purdue’s offense just isn’t the same.
- With those two losses on offense it puts even more pressure on Rob Henry to perform and up to this point he clearly hasn’t. There’s no need to rehash that here.
- Purdue now has lost Gabe Holmes on offense more than likely for the year with an injured wrist and they’ve lost Landon Feichter for the season with two broken hands and a broken leg. Big losses on both sides of the ball.
So what exactly would Purdue need to do to win? Why Mr. or Mrs. Reader I’m so glad you asked that. I’ve also got a bulleted list of things that need to happen in order for Purdue to win. Let’s take a look at those shall we?
- Once Everett Golson was kicked out of school it made good fans like me smile. A cheating scandal at Notre Dame? That’s crazy! There’s never been a Notre Dame athlete who did something immoral! This is Notre Dame where our athletes truly are students first! For Purdue to win Tommy Rees, and his classy sister, will be in town and need to play terribly. Perhaps Tommy’s classy sister will even get arrested like the last time she was at Purdue.
- Play Cottom and McCarthy. This one is self-explanatory.
- The home crowd needs to be a factor. Purdue fans can bring it when they are given a good opportunity. This Saturday is a good opportunity. Be sure to pay attention to the color of shirt you’re supposed to wear. Find it here.
- Purdue has to play a much more disciplined game. They can’t be committing stupid penalties. They can’t have WRs run the wrong route, they can’t play as individuals. They need to reach the goal that Coach Hazell has set for them and come together to be A players.
- Someone has to pick up their game in the linebacking corps. Purdue’s been gouged over the middle of the field by both teams so far this year, and well pretty much every team during the last 5 years, so the linebackers stepping up and making some plays would make a huge difference.
With all that going on for this game I don’t like Purdue’s odds. Unless something changes drastically between now and tomorrow night Purdue is headed for a long night against Notre Dame on ABC. On the plus side maybe Brent Musberger will creep on some Purdue girls and make one of them famous.
Notre Dame 35